Bulgogi (Korean Beef)
- 2 lbs beef (steak beef sliced thinly works really well)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar (it's a sweet meat, but you can dial this back a little bit if you'd prefer)
- 1/2 cup cooking wine, or any wine
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 Tbsps garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 5 sticks green onion, chopped
- (optional) sliced mushrooms, carrots or cabbage
Mix all of the ingredients except for the beef and vegetables. Put the thinly sliced beef and vegetables into the sauce. Refrigerate the marinade for at least 3 hours (you can store the mix for several days and cook a bit at a time). Fry the bulgogi on the stovetop until cooked, or put it into a pyrex in the oven on 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serve with rice and kimchi. Feeds 6-8 people.
And since no post seems complete without a photo and I didn't think to take one of dinner when we had our friends over, I'll include this little gem. It's getting to be holiday time over here!